You now have one of the cutest toy breed in history, the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy. They’re an affectionate breed that loves to play and they also have one of the most beautiful coats that dogs have ever had. This is why it is important to groom them and feed them the best dog food for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.
Disclosure: We believe in transparency. The links within this article are affiliate links which means any purchases you make as a result of clicking them will result in us making a small commission. This does not affect the price nor does it influence the products we feature.
Dog Food for Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Comparison
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Nutrition
Cavaliers are known for their silky coats and tri-colored hair, which usually comes in white, black or tan, and Blenheim (chestnut). They are a friendly breed that loves to spend time with children. Regardless of their small size, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels require ample exercise because of their energy levels. Considering their coat and energy requirements, they’ll need the best dog food for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.
Although most dogs are willing to eat any food you offer, you should choose one that can provide all the dietary and nutritional needs of specific breed like the Cavalier. Here is what you need to consider:
- Since the Cavalier is a small high energy dog, they will eat smaller portions because of their tiny stomachs. This can pose a problem if you don’t have the right kind of dog food. If they eat their daily portions, but don’t get enough energy, they will end up using all their calories before the day ends. This is fine, but your dog may still feel hungry if they don’t have enough nutrition. This will cause them to find other ways to make up for the loss of vitamins and minerals by eating whatever food (or object) they can find.
Interest In Food
- Dogs know what’s in their food because their body reacts to what they eat. For example, when you feed an adult dog puppy food, they may reject it because they know that it’s giving them too many nutrients. If the food they’re eating doesn’t have enough nutrients, they will find an alternative – sometimes poop. You need to choose dog food that your dog wants to eat or else you’ll have trouble training them to eat. This can cause anxiety, gastrointestinal problems, and sometimes systemic fever because they are rejecting their food.
- The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel are a sensitive breed because many types of processed dog food can give them allergies. There have been reports that feeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniel grain-based food causes rashes and hair fall. That is the reason why you need to find dog food that is ideal for your dog’s breed. Luckily, they are not allergic to poultry and game meat. However, some Cavaliers may still develop allergies to those ingredients for any number of reasons.
- Since don’t respond well to processed dog food for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, you have few choices when buying their dog food. Don’t worry, though. There are many types of dog food that are made with natural ingredients and are free from additives. It will just take a while to find one that makes your Cavalier happy.
How Food Is Produced
- Before buying any brand, make sure that they are accredited by the Food and Drug Administration, Federal Trade Commission, and United States Department of Agriculture. They are the ones that give the stamp of approval to dog food products because they make it a point to band dog food that has major problems like contamination. The reason is that some producers can be careless in their production process and end up with dog food that is contaminated by bacteria like E. coli, Salmonella, Clostridium botulinum, and more. Before buying dog food online, make sure that they are not on the banned and recall list of the FDA.
How To Choose Dog Food
Aside from considering the needs of your dog’s breed as well as the production of their food, you should also consider your part in providing the dog foo for your pet. Some owners like preparing food themselves, but that can be time-consuming, especially if you have a busy working schedule. So before you decide on your dog food for Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, here is what you must consider:
- Buying premium dog food for Cavaliers can take a toll on your wallet. That is why you need to choose a cost-effective dog food that will still provide all the nutrients that your dog needs. Since you can’t just buy any processed dog food, you have to consider which brands you can afford. Fortunately for you, since Cavaliers eat very little, you can invest in a huge bag of premium dog food without breaking the bank.
Finding a Supplier
- Because of the scarcity of high-quality dog food in neighborhood shops, you may want to consider other options when procuring dog food. If you buy it online, you should purchase it two weeks before the last of your Cavalier’s dog food is consumed. This will give you enough time to purchase the food and have it delivered to your home. If your preferred dog food is available nearby, make sure you have the store set some aside for you before your dog runs out of food.
Teaching Your Dog to Love Their Food
- So, you finally chose a dog food but your dog doesn’t like it. Well tough luck, doggy. You must learn how to train your dog to eat the food that is offered, especially if you are sure that it is exactly what your dog needs. Seeing that the Cavalier has a great sense of smell, they may be pickier than other dogs when it comes to dog food. Train them to eat their food by leaving the food out for fifteen minutes. Take it away after that and don’t feed your dog until the next session. This will teach them that if they don’t eat during that time, they won’t eat at all. It’s not a cruel practice because dogs can go for days without food. Vets want owners to learn this technique because feeding is a fundamental part of training your dog.
Best Dog Food For Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
As daunting as it seems, feeding your Cavalier the proper dog food is an essential part of your role as pet parent. Because you chose to take care of your dog, you must do everything in your power to give them the best possible dog food, the proper training, and ample grooming. This will lead to a well-rounded dog that will always be a great companion. To do that, you’ll need the best food for your Cavalier. Here are some examples:
Fromm Gold Small Breed Adult Dog Food
Fromm Family Foods is well known for highly specific types of pet food. They produce their food to cater to the size, age, and breed of all dogs. They also provide dog food that addresses certain issues like overnutrition, bone disease, and more. The Small Breed Adult formulation is a great choice for your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel because it only has brown rice in its formulation.
Since the Cavalier is allergic to most processed food with grains, the whole wheat nature of the brown rice, combined with the high protein and omega-3 ingredients in the food is a good formulation that will not result in allergies.
The ingredients are also ideal for the development of your dog’s body as well as their coats. Fromm Gold has the required nutrients to cover all the needs of an adult dog such as protein and calcium nourishment, vitamin nourishment, and caloric makeup. This formulation will give your Cavalier a shiny and healthy coat, even if it is not explicitly stated on the packaging.
One other advantage to buying From Gold Small Breed Adult Dog Food is that one cup packs a ton of nutrients that your Cavalier will need for the entire day. You can buy a large pack and the food will last your for more than a month. It’s value for money, especially since it's one of healthiest dog foods for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.
NUTRO ULTRA Adult Dry Dog Food
NUTRO ULTRA Dog Food is another good example of dog food that has natural ingredients that are ideal for your King Charles Cavalier Spaniel. Even though the formulation does have some grains, these are the kind that makes your dog healthier and more energetic. Nutro Ulta uses whole wheat grain, which serve as the complex carbohydrates that your Cavalier will process into energy for their regular play time.
Apart from that Nutro Ultra is also packed with vitamins and minerals derived from superfoods like kale, sunflower oil, flax seen, chia seeds, blueberries, and more. Beside that, the dog food also contains protein from chicken, lamb, and salmon. These make up for the flavor as well as the nutrients needed to build your dog’s muscles and keep their organs healthy. Nutro Ultra promises that their product does not contain any GMO products, which means that it is free from hormones and steroids. They also don’t use meat by-products thereby allowing your dog to consume all the nutrients from the meat ingredients.
The only downside to this is that you may not know how your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel may react to the whole grains. However, since they are the healthy kind, you can rest assured that it will be processed by their body quickly and efficiently. It’s also cheaper than most dog foods that offer less nutritious advantages.
Earthborn Holistic Small Breed Natural Dog Food
Earthborn Holistic Small Breed Natural Dog Food is much like Nutro Ultra, but it packs more of a natural punch. Most of their ingredients are made from natural ingredients and are filled with vitamins and nutrients that are great for your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. The kibbles are easy to chew, making it an ideal choice for small breeds like the Cavalier.
One of their best features is the Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids that will give your Cavalier the shiniest and softest coat in the neighborhood, or at least at home. The food is also made with fruits and vegetables, which may not sound like the ideal makeup for dog food, but it is essentially what makes Earthborn Holistic one of the healthiest dog foods for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.
One other thing to note is that Earthborn Holistic, as their name suggests, is an environment-friendly product. The dog food comes in an air-tight resealable BPA-free packaging. You can also recycle the bas using the TerraCycle and Earthborn ReBorn program of the company. This way, you not only feed your dog the best dog food, you also get to decrease your carbon footprint. The only downside I can see with this type of food is that it is a bit more expensive than the rest.
BLUE Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Adult Dry Dog Food
Blue Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Adult Dry Dog Food may just be the product that your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is looking for. Don’t be fooled by the packaging. The dog food isn’t just for large dogs that are the back-to-nature type. Their formulation is also ideal for small breeds like the Cavalier.
Blue Wilderness is made from real meat, which covers their high protein count. They also don’t use chicken or poultry by-products – they only use the good parts. Their grain-free formula will also keep your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel from the dreaded wheat allergy that most owners are concerned about.
Apart from mean, Blue Wilderness also utilizes fresh fruit and vegetables in their formulation to make up for the lack of grains. With the combination of protein and vitamins, it is one of the best choices for a full-featured dog food. Their breed-specific varieties are also one of their biggest advantages. They even have a formulation for toy dog breeds, which is ideal for the Cavalier.
Their recipes are designed to have the essential nutrients that a dog needs, but are portioned to provide the exact amount of sustenance a specific breed needs. For small dogs and toy dogs, they make it a point to make small kibble and an exact balance of protein, calcium, and carbohydrates that will fill your dog up and lessen the risk becoming overweight.
While most of these dog food are made from natural ingredients and whole grain products, they are some of the best recipes that will help your Cavalier grow big and strong, as well as produce a shiny coat. When choosing dog food for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, always consider the entire makeup and formulation of each brand to ensure their health and wellness.