The Cocker Spaniel and Poodle mix, also known as Cockapoo, is one of the first breeds of designer dogs from the 50s. This small but adorable mixed breed is naturally intelligent, easy to train, and energetic. With this in mind, you should always consider buying the best dog food for Cockapoo.
These dogs are known to be “big clowns” due to their happy, sociable, and energetic nature. They do not shed and do not trigger allergic reactions to people. It is important that they continue to exude this happy nature through proper exercise and nutrition so that their owners will continue to be happy as well.
Best Dog Food for Cockapoo Comparison
Cockapoos are generally healthy. Because they are a mixed breed, their life expectancy is longer than other lap dogs. Given the proper care and fed with the right dog food for Cockapoos, this breed can live up to 18 years old.
The height and weight of a cockapoo may vary depending on the parents’ genetic predisposition. Nutrition and proper diet play a big role in the growth and development of a cockapoo as well.
1. Your dog’s nutritional needs and the benefits of consuming a particular nutrient
Understanding your dog’s unique nutritional needs and the ingredients present in the dog food determines if it is ideal for your Cockapoo. As a responsible pet owner, you must ensure that your dog gets all the necessary nutrients it needs to support its growth and overall health.
2. Age of your dog
Make sure that the dog food is suitable to your dog’s age. Adult dog foods have larger kibbles and are harder than puppy food. Also, puppies and older dogs have unique nutritional needs with the former requiring more vitamins and minerals. Feeding them the wrong kind of dog food may not satisfy those needs, which can lead to potential health problems in the future.
3. Dry food or wet food
This is a matter of preference but you have to decide whether to feed your dog dry dog food or wet dog food. What matters is their reaction to the food and whether or not your budget permits it. Generally, wet dog food is more expensive than dry dog food for cockapoo.
Dry vs Wet Food: Which one is better?
Every dog owner has this nagging thought of which type of dog food to provide their dogs regardless of the breed. Both can provide the nutritional needs of your dogs and has pros and cons respectively. However, you will find that dry dog food has more advantages compared to wet dog food for cockapoo. Here are some of them.
- Dry dog food is convenient for storage and has longer shelf life compared to wet food. This is because once the can of wet food is opened, your dog has to finish the contents before it goes bad. If not, your dog may be at risk of getting bacteria and food allergies.
- Food bowls are easier to clean when you feed your dogs with dry food.
- It is cost-effective because dry dog food is cheaper than wet ones. It also allows you to estimate how long a bag of dry food will last.
- You can add drops of water for extra moisture or dampen your dog food if you think your dog or puppy is having a hard time swallowing and digesting the kibble.
- Dogs love wet food because it is usually a lot tastier than dry ones, but it is all a matter of preference. Surely, you can find the perfect flavor of dry dog food that your dog would love.
These are some of the advantages dry dog food has over wet ones. In most cases, wet food has higher levels of protein from animal sources, but dry food can also provide that need. You can also opt to mix dry and wet food.
Ultimately, it is up to you. Just make sure to consult your vet if you are unsure or if any issues arise. Remember switching dog foods without transitioning properly can cause diarrhea or food allergies.
4. The nutrients present in the dog food formula
Regardless of whether it is dry or wet, a high-quality dog food for cockapoo should have the following nutrients to satisfy the needs of your beloved pooch. These key ingredients and nutrients should be present in the dog food.
- Protein- Animal-based protein is essential in building lean muscles and to support the healthy body weight of your Cockapoo. Most dog food companies use lamb, beef, chicken, and fish to get this nutrient. Some vegetables such as peas that are also included in the formula are good sources of protein as well.
- Vitamins, Minerals, and Antioxidants- It is important that these nutrients are also present in the formula of the dog food for a well-balanced diet. These nutrients promote the five signs of wellness. The best sources of these nutrients are fruits and vegetables.
- Fat - A healthy dose of fat in food can also boost energy and help maintain smooth skin and a shiny coat. Fatty acids such as Omega 3 and Omega 6 can do great wonders to the health and well-being of your Cockapoo. It also boosts immunity to help fight diseases.
- Carbohydrates - The best sources of carbohydrates are rice and oats. Like its effect on human beings, carbohydrates are a great energy-giving nutrient. However, you must stay away from grains such as wheat, soy, and corn. These ingredients are the main culprit of digestive problems and food allergies. Dog food that contains such ingredients may do more harm than good. If you notice problems such as vomiting, skin conditions, and loose stool, consult your vet immediately.
These are the essential nutrients that you should look out for when buying a high-quality dog food. Aside from grain, remember to stay away from meat by-products. These by-products are usually parts of slaughtered animals such as intestines, bone, kidneys, etc.
Some brands add these meat by-products to maintain high levels of protein while keeping the cost of production low. Although these parts are still rich in protein, these may not be the best for your dog.
Always consider these things before you risk the health of your dog by feeding him the wrong kind of dog food for cockapoo. Double check with your vet if there are other specific things to consider in regards with the health issues of your dog.
Remember that not all dogs are the same. Even dogs that came from the same litter have unique personalities, reaction to food, and health issues.
Best Dry Food for Cockapoo
Rachael Ray Nutrish Zero Grain
- Grain-free and no chicken by-product
- No preservatives and artificial flavors
- The main ingredient is real salmon
- A portion of the sale will go to Rachael Ray’s foundation that rescues dogs and helps other organizations that care for the welfare of animals
Rachael Ray Nutrish Zero Grain dry food is inspired by the recipes Rachael makes for humans. The ingredients were carefully selected and contain natural ingredients such as protein-rich sources and vegetables.
The main ingredients include salmon and salmon meal that are naturally rich in protein and amino acids such as Omega 3. These vitamins help support the growth of lean muscle, maintains healthy organs, and are less likely to aggravate or cause any food allergies and sensitivities. Sweet potatoes, peas, and tapioca, which are rich in fiber and carbohydrates are also included.
Every kibble is packed with nutrients that are easy to swallow and digest. Since it is made with all natural ingredients, it is highly unlikely to cause any digestive issues. This brand is approved by most vets and a portion of every sale goes out to the projects of Rachael Ray’s foundation and other pet charities that care for the animal welfare.
Wellness Core Grain Free Original Formula
- Completely grain-free
- Protein-rich and all natural ingredients
- Provides safe and balanced nutrition for your dogs
- Pure and no meat by-products
- Original turkey and chicken flavor
- Specially formulated for adult dogs
- Supports the five signs of wellness
This dry dog food for cockapoo boasts that they have 80% more meat than its competitors. Their focus is to provide a highly nutritious dry dog food that is also free of grain and other animal by-products. With the goal of providing your dog with a safe dog food, you can rest easy that you are not compromising the health of your beloved Cockapoo by feeding Wellness Core Grain-Free Original Formula.
The essential vitamins, fatty acids, minerals, and antioxidants present in the formula promote overall good health. It supports the growth of lean muscles and maintain a healthy weight, fights excess calories, aids in digestion, promotes healthy eyes, teeth, and gums.
This is specially formulated for adult dogs. It may not be suitable for puppies and nursing dogs as they have special nutritional requirements. Check other Wellness Core’s products that are made especially for puppies. If you are unsure, follow the feeding guidelines at the back of the packaging or as directed by your vet.
Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food
- Made with natural ingredients and sustainable resources
- Specially formulated to provide the needs of a growing puppy and nursing dogs
- High in protein, vitamins, and minerals
- Highly digestible
- Kibbles are small and perfect for small breeds
Taste of the Wild is a US-based trusted brand that is known to make high-quality dog food for cockapoos. This grain-free and high in protein dry dog food contain roasted bison meat that is high in protein and prebiotic fiber. Other natural ingredients such as fruits and vegetables are added to provide a roster of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and a blend of omega fatty acids.
All of these help in ensuring the optimal growth of your puppies. The formula helps promote healthy coat, eyes, teeth, gums, and growth of lean muscles. The kibble is highly digestible and is the perfect size for puppies. This is likely the best puppy food for cockapoos.
Although every dog’s reaction to dog food is different, this dry dog food does not cause any digestive issues. The probiotics fiber thrives and survives in the GI tract and aids in healthy digestion.
Packaging sizes vary. It is available in 5, 14, 15,18, and 30 pounds.
Natural Balance Lamb Meal and Brown Rice Formula
- Kibble size is perfect for small breeds
- The formula is suitable for adult dogs
- Natural ingredients without artificial flavors and preservatives
- Promotes healthy teeth and gums
The main ingredients of this dry dog food are lamb meal and brown rice. They are known to provide premium protein and a rich source of carbohydrates. Other added nutrients include Omega 3 and fatty acids that help support healthy coat and skin.
The brand has been working to perfect the nutritional science of dog food since 1989. Testing of products has been done by highly-qualified chemists and microbiologists to ensure the safety of the product. This makes them proud to say that the dog food is unlikely to cause gastrointestinal issues or allergic reactions.
It actually works great for dogs that have digestive issues and highly sensitive stomachs. It normalizes the stool and helps clear skin allergies. The formula is suitable for adult dogs. You may want to look for the version that is suitable for puppies and nursing dogs from their long line of dog food products. The price is reasonable compared to its competitors.
In my opinion, Natural Balance Lamb Meal and Brown Rice Formula is ideal for any Cockapoo. Because of the balanced nature of the ingredients, you can rest knowing that your mixed breed Cockapoo gets all the nutrients they need without the added fillers.
Hopefully, you find all these information useful especially the best dog food for Cockapoo to ensure the health and wellness of your dog. If you are unsure about the feeding or general care of your dog, it is always best to ask your vet.