Best Food for Border Collie Puppy 2018
Do you own a Border Collie puppy or are you thinking of getting one? The Border Collie are smarter than your average dog and it shows when you look at them in the eye. Border Collies are known for “the stare” that they use to intimidate when herding. They are also known for their agility, balance, and endurance. Because they are an active breed, you need to choose the best food for Border Collie puppy when considering their nutritional needs.
Best Food for Border Collie Puppy Comparison
How Do You Pick The Best Dog Food for Border Collie Puppies?
The Border Collie is a mix of large old Roman dog breeds and agile dogs brought to England by the Vikings during their raids. They are strong and energetic, which is why they are great worker dogs. If given the proper care and nutrition, they can live up to 17 years.
This breed of dog loves working. Whether they are undergoing obedience training, agility training, or herding, these dogs will definitely enjoy the activity. However, these dogs are cautious around strangers.
Border Collies are well-built athletic herders, standing at around 18-22 inches at the shoulders. Their muscular and agile bodies have stood the test of time and evolution as well. Also, their rough and smooth coat comes in colors and patterns that are distinctive from one Border Collie to another.
As puppies, they are born at about seven to fourteen ounces. They gain weight quickly, which is mainly due to their genetic predisposition as a medium-sized breed. More importantly, their diet is to thank for their growth and development. Proper exercise, sufficient nutrients, and the right environment are all essential in the growth and development of a Border Collie Puppy as well.
1. One size does not fit all.
Every dog’s nutritional needs vary from one another, especially when it comes to puppies. It is your responsibility to know what specific nutrients are more important for that dog breed and age. Border Collie puppies grow larger by the day and they require more nutrients than other breeds. You also need to weigh them daily to see how much food they need. This applies to when they are done nursing or when they transition from formula to solid or wet food for Border Collie puppy.
2. Age does matter.
Border Collie puppies become young adults at the age of 6 months. They haven’t stopped growing yet, which means that given their age and weight, you still need to look out for how much food and nutrition their body needs. Consider their energy levels as well since puppies and young adults are much more energetic than full grown adults. This is saying a lot considering adult Border Collies are more energetic than some dog breeds.
3. Dry food or wet food?
Dogs can be very choosy as well. Some would like it dry and some love it wet. Feeding time should be enjoyable for both the dog and the owner. Knowing what your dog prefers will make it easier to feed them. Both dry and wet dog food have benefits. The only thing you need to know is which one does your Border Collie puppy respond well to.
Dry vs Wet Food: Which one is better?
- Storage – Dry Food
- Dry food is easier to store than wet food. It also has a longer shelf life than wet food. Wet food is more susceptible to bacteria and spoilage once the food has already been consumed and not finished.
- Convenience – Dry Food
- Food bowls with dry food are generally easier to clean than food bowls with wet food.
- Cost – Dry Food
- Most dry food for Border Collie puppy is cheaper than wet food. Also, dry food is easier to budget since it comes in bigger sacks and does not need to be consumed thoroughly once opened unlike wet food.
- Texture – Wet Food
- Wet food is easier for Border Collie puppies to swallow. Like with dry food, you must add some warm water to soften it on some occasions.
- Taste – Wet Food
- Most dogs love wet food more than dry food as it is tastier than dry food. This is mostly about preference, so we suggest that you observe what your dog likes better.
- Nutritional Value – Both
- Each dog has a different nutritional requirement. Some dry food brand are good for specific breeds of dogs, while others respond positively to wet dog food.
Overall, dry dog food for Border Collie puppy is a better buy than wet food. While the wet food is tastier, the dry food offers more benefits for you as an owner. Since both food provide your dog’s nutritional requirements, you can also mix dry food and wet food to cater to your dog’s preference.
However, you must remember that switching dog foods without proper transition could cause minor problems such as allergic reactions or stomach sickness with your dog. Should any issues or uncertainty arise, please consult your vet.
4. Dog Food Formula – What’s in it?
Your Border Collie puppy deserves high-quality large breed puppy food whether it is dry or wet. Look out for these key nutrients in the food’s formula and ingredients.
- Protein - Border Collie puppies need animal-meat protein to supplement their lean muscles and maintain healthy weight requirements. Dog food manufacturers source out their animal meat proteins from beef, lamb, chicken or fish. To further boost the formula, some vegetables are added such as peas to supply the protein needs.
- Vitamins, Minerals, and Antioxidants – For a well-balanced diet, fruits and vegetables are a must. It is also important for your dogs to get their daily vitamins and minerals from their dog food. Luckily, fruits and vegetables are also part of the mix. Puppies are sometimes prescribed additional vitamins to supplement their diet and to give them a healthier appetite.
- Fat – Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids are essential for dogs and puppies. They promote smoother skin and shinier coats as well as increase antibodies in your puppy’s system.
- Carbohydrates – Carbohydrates are the best source of energy. Rice and oats are popular sources. However, not all carbs are created equal. There are some grains that do more harm than good when it comes to dogs. These are wheat, soy and corn. Digestive problems and food allergies are usually caused by these ingredients. If your dog has problems such as vomiting, rashes, and irregular stool consistency please consult your vet.
It is worth noting that some dog food manufacturers add meat by products to their formula. Meat by products are bones, intestines, kidneys and other innards of their meat sources. Although, these can also be a source of protein, it is not generally good for your dog. A high-quality dog food for Border Collie puppy usually doesn’t have this in their formula as this is only used by lower tier manufacturers who want to cut their production cost.
Each dog is unique from one another. It is very important to understand their needs and even ask for professional help in finding the right dog food for Border Collie puppy. We hope that these details would help in making your decision about your dog’s daily food intake.
Top 4 Foods for Border Collie Puppies
CANIDAE All Life Stages Dog Dry Food Multi-Protein Formula
- Finest protein from lamb, chicken, turkey and fish
- No corn, soy or wheat
- Uses premium and high-quality ingredients
- Designed for all ages, breeds and sizes
CANIDAE All Life Stages recipes are specially designed to accommodate all ages, breeds and sizes. This make the lives of multiple pet owner’s feeding easier. You don’t need to get multiple bags. Owners can scoop food for all dog breeds, ages or sizes. This is also beneficial for single-pet households. There is no need to switch food for Border Collie puppies if your puppy ends up liking this brand all the way.
It is also carefully formulated to cater to every dog breed, ages and seizes by using the highest quality ingredients. The great thing about this formulation is that there is no corn, wheat, or soy. Many dogs suffer from grain allergies and this brand is ideal for those who are proven to respond negatively to grain-based dog food.
Every kibble is infused with probiotics to aid in digestion, antioxidants to help boost the immune system, and Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids that improve the skin and coat of Border Collie puppies.
The CANIDAE All Life Stages recipes not only makes your Border Collie puppy healthy and strong but also tastes great that your puppy would truly love it. This is a great choice for dog owners who wants to make their lives easier when feeding their dogs.
Merrick Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- Gluten and grain free for easier digestion
- Primary ingredient is deboned high quality chicken
- Industry leading amount of Omega 3 & Omega 6 fatty acids
- Industry leading amount of Glucosamine and Chondroitin
- Made in the USA.
Merrick Grain Free Real Chicken & Sweet Potato Dry Dog Food gives dogs the quality protein and healthy fats that they need. This specialized formula dog food for Border Collie puppy is sourced from local farmers, which means your Border Collie puppy gets to eat natural ingredients. This grain and gluten-free dog food is ideal for every dog because it improves overall health through naturally nutrient-rich ingredients. It is suitable for dogs of all ages, breeds and sizes.
The primary ingredient is deboned high-quality chicken which comprises 70% of the formulation. These ingredients that help gives high quality protein for lean and strong muscles, omega 3 & 6 fatty acids for smooth skin and shiny coat and glucosamine for healthy joint support.
The Merrick Grain Free Real Chicken & Sweet Potato Dry Dog Food is a great choice for Border Collie puppy owners who wants to feed their dog a healthy formulation.
Purina Pro Plan FOCUS Dry Puppy Food
- Specialized FOCUS formula for different life stages, breeds and needs
- Primary ingredient is high quality protein sources which includes real high-grade chicken
- Great support for developing joints and cartilage through natural glucosamine sources
- Great brain and vision development through DHA from natural fish oil
Purina Pro Plan FOCUS Dry Puppy Food Formulas are specially made for puppies to promote proper development of their muscles, bones, and coat. The formula not only focuses on brain and vision development through its DHA component, but it also promotes joint development through its natural glucosamine ingredient. Furthermore, antioxidants are also added to the dog food for Border Collie puppy nourish their developing immune system.
Adult Formulas are made with key nutrients to continuously support the dog’s needs as they grow older. It also contains Vitamin A, linoleic acid, and omega-6 fatty acids to maintain strong skin and shiny coats. The Purina Pro Plan FOCUS Dry Puppy Food Formulas is a great choice for Border Collie Puppy owners who wants to have a specialized nutrient formula that will maximize their dog’s growth.
This is also a good foundation for your Border Collie puppy’s health needs because of the extensive plan in nurturing a puppy’s needs.
Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Food
- Hill's Science Diet Puppy Large Breed Chicken Meal & Oats Recipe natural dog food is recommended for puppies that will be more than 55 lbs. when they reach 1 year old.
- Calcium supply that will help these large breed puppies’ bone growth
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin for support joint development
- Vitamin C and E and antioxidants for the immune system
- Made from easily digestible raw materials
- No artificial flavors and preservatives
Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Large Breed Chicken & Barley Recipe pet food gives these large breed puppies what they need to sustain their quick growth. Hill's Science Diet Puppy Large Breed dry dog food provides calcium for your dog’s controlled bone growth, glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy joints and cartilage, and vitamins C and E with antioxidants to boost their immune system.
This variant is specially formulated for large breed puppies like the Border Collie. Since they grow pretty fast, the nutrients in Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Food can easily make up for the nutritional needs of the puppy’s fast development.
The Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Large Breed Chicken & Barley recipe is a popular choice for Border Collie puppy owners who have a bigger than average puppy as well. This dog food for Border Collie puppy is specially curated for serving the larger dogs nutritional needs. Also, this is one of the more natural dog food formulas because of it has no artificial flavors and preservatives present.
Based on the needs of a growing Border Collie puppy, I prefer to feed them Hill’s Science Diet for Puppies. It has one of the most comprehensive formulations out of all the choices mentioned, as well as others that are not on the list. Now that you have an idea of the best food for Border Collie puppy, which one would you like to try?